Thursday, April 3, 2008

I remember...

I remember... Rafting down the colorado river and seeing the waterfalls rush down the walls of the canyon after an august thunderstorm. I remember the first race I ever ran, and the thrill of competition. I remember the toy lego ship that my neighbor stole when I was five. I remember the first time I drove a car, and the first time I drove alone. I remember the freedom of being able to go anywhere. I remember the winter hunting trips, and the biting cold as I waited with m father for the elk to appear, or the sun to rise. I remember the camping trip, in Havasu Falls in the grand canyon, and the turquoise waters falling from above, pulling you in as you swam towards them. I remember the first shower after two weeks of backpacking in New Mexico, and the first good meal that night. I remember seeing the waves high above our little boat, when a storm came during a deep sea fishing trip. I remember the rope connecting my brother and I to the skiboat below snapping in Key West, and the view from way too high above. I remember the summer nights when we would go rock climbing at night, seeing how high we could go up the mountain before we had to be home, then rushing home to beat the curfew. I remember washing dishes for hours to earn gas money, or money for a new bike. Then I remember the next job, cleaning boats and repairing things for a river outfitter. I remember the thrill and fear of the first time on a motorcycle. I remember the adrenaline of riding out of control down the hill. I remember my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outdoors recreation is truly great. All of these images are so descriptive even without saying so many words. When you write about every trip, I can see it in my mind, and it's good. I truly like doing activities like this, but haven't made the commitment to doing so many of these activities. I really enjoy being on trips out in the wilderness, and it seems like you do as well.

Trey said...

All of your experiences remind me of everything I did in Boy Scouts throughout middle school and high school. It wasn't considered the "coolest" thing in the world, but I got to see and do things that would have otherwise not been available to me.
I remember hiking the Hohokam Trail, up on Mt. Lemmon. It was a 30 mile hike that I did to prepare for my rim-to-rim grand canyon hike. This ended up being the most physically taxing thing I have ever done. 20 hours of hiking. A luck would have it, this turned out to be much more difficult than the grand canyon hike.