Thursday, May 8, 2008

Google Earth Image

Google Earth is an amazing tool that allows one to see all of the wonders of the world, as well of many things that are not quite so great. One such sight that Google Earth exposes to the public is that of war torn areas around the world. In my search for this heavily damaged areas of the world, it occurred to me to look t the Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea. When I looked, I was surprised at what I saw.

I had expected a barren wasteland, without any life whatsoever. I had assumed that this area, the dividing line between two enemies would be torn apart, pockmarked with craters and burnt remains of what used to lie there. Instead what I saw was a luscious jungle, where wildlife was flourishing between the outposts on either side of the strip. There were few if any traces of the war that had once ravaged these lands.

While I thought about this, it began to make sense, and to become an excellent microcosm of a world without violence. This is what a demilitarized world would be like, without weapons to cause violence and strife, mankind and the world could heal the scars of the past and begin to grow unfettered into a better and brighter future. This is indeed a strong case against war, if ever there was one.

When I first searched for this I was expecting a scene that would sadden me. Instead what I found was a scene containing a powerful message of hope, with a lesson for us all to learn from.

No comments: